Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Random slips of paper for my "jar"

This past weekend, we went up north to Pearson, Wisconsin for the first time as a family.  I grew up going to visit my grandparents there and have wonderful memories of that time.  I was lucky enough to make a wonderful friend who lives in Pearson and I've been able to go up there over the years since college.  I've been married 13 years and a mom for almost 11 and I'm almost ashamed to say that I had never taken my family there prior to this.  I don't know if it was fear that they wouldn't find it as wonderful as I always have or what, but I needn't have worried.  They all loved it!  Unfortunately, I'm terrible with pictures at times and didn't get one of the girls playing in the snow, though the hubby did take some pictures around where we were staying. 


Kind of an old slip, but this past Christmas was the one where Dancer, my oldest, asked the dreaded question about Santa.  She took the news well and did not let it slip to Squink.  I thought for sure that this meant we no longer had to deal with the Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny and the like.  Not long after Christmas, Dancer lost a tooth.  Just like every other time, she put it in her tooth pillow and then hung it on her door knob (which was a slight change over hanging on her old headboard).  Needless to say, both my hubby and I forgot to play Tooth Fairy! 

Larry the Cable Guy as the Tooth Fairy
from one of the girls' favorite movies

Dancer was so upset the next morning.  She had woke up before I did and was already in the family room waiting to tell me the bad news.  What she didn't know was that I had realized our mistake and quickly threw some quarters in the pillow for her tooth.  As she's telling me how the Tooth Fairy forgot about her, I'm a little shocked to realize that she's completely serious and couldn't believe that she was forgotten.  I gave some lame excuse and a few minutes later, she went back to her room and decided to check her tooth pillow again.  Dancer came running out with her face glowing with excitement because she had found the money.  Just two days ago she lost another tooth and we went through this again, though we remembered the money the night before.  While part of me is amazed that she hasn't put it all together, another part of me is just happy that she's still a little girl. 

A couple of days ago, my mom's group was discussing how many teenagers and 20 somethings don't seem to know a lot about the music from the 70's and 80's.   We tend to listen to a lot of country and pop in our normal listening habits, but occasionally something different will get thrown in.  Tonight was one of those times when we put on a mix cd in the car that was made by a friend of ours.  Squink sang along with ABBA and then became very excited when the Violent Femmes came on, squealing how she LOVED that song. 


Both she and Dancer want these and other "old" songs added to their iPods.  It gave me a satisfied feeling that they're being exposed to more than what is on the radio. 

My final slip of the night also happened today.  As I had mentioned in my daybook post from a couple days ago, Squink has been sick. In looking at her throat last night, I noticed that it was quite red and had white patches on it.  It was decided to keep her home and take her to the doctor to make sure it wasn't strep.  She had just gotten over strep about a week ago and the swabbing to determine it was not pretty.  In Dancer's words, "Her behavior was just embarrassing!"  We all know the swabbing of the throat for the strep test is no fun.  They stick it back far enough that you gag and if they're really "good", you have to stop yourself from vomiting all over the nurse or doctor. 


After her strep test earlier this month, Squink wrote on her calendar, "the worst day of my life", so traumatic was the swabbing.  I try not to lie to the girls and so I did tell Squink that there was the possibility that she would have to have another test.  This lead to crying and yelling and so much carrying on that you thought I was sending her before the firing squad.  I tried to talk to her about how she could make it easier, but she was not listening.  She cried all the way into the doctor's office, while sitting in the waiting room, into the exam room and even while the doctor was doing the initial exam.  It was determined that a strep test would need to be done and the hysterics escalated.  Anyone who has every sat with a child who is acting this way can surely imagine the scene.  I tried to play it cool like this behavior didn't phase me.  Luckily, it didn't phase the doctor.  He was AWESOME!  He took the time to talk to her, find out her fears, give her demonstrations and put the power in her hands.  She made the decision to stand in my arms, holding my hands gently and sticking out her tongue and saying "aaaaahhh" instead of having the doctor use the tongue depressor.  The test was over and done with before she knew it and she was so proud of herself for taking charge of her own actions.  It was a proud moment as a parent to see her do that.  Now if we can get this to work for the dental x-rays this summer.....

1 comment:

  1. I've been there, done that, when it comes to the tooth fairy.

    I didn't warn my son about the swab when he had his first strep test. The gal was really good though. Took just a second.

    Oh and the music! My coworker said that her son and all his friends listen to music from the 70s and 80s. None of the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete