Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Jar of Memories

For those of you on Facebook, it was probably hard to miss the post that was flying around at the end of 2012.  Create a jar of memories by writing down a good memory or event that occurred, then place it in the jar and read them all on New Year's Eve of 2013.  Sounds like a great idea doesn't it?  Who doesn't want to remember all the little things that happen over the course of a year?  I know I do and of course cannot remember them all.  Especially when you have children, it seems as if there are so many things that you want to remember and just can't. 

                                                                   

I was all hyped up to do this jar and then it hit me, there was absolutely no way I was going to keep up with something like that.  First of all, there was the issue of having pieces of paper available to write it all out on.   Then I would have to find a jar that was satisfactory for me that would hold all the memories I planned to add to it.  Right off the bat I was creating complications for myself (which I'm really good at doing).  I tend to be a Type A personality, so I would feel obsessive about having to do this and then I'd have issues with the jar and paper sitting around taking up space.  I knew this was just not going to work for me. 

If you read my first blog post, you know that a friend gave me a push to do this.  When she read this, she was concerned that I felt pressured to do this blog.  I was quick to assure her that she did not pressure me at all. I had been twirling the idea around and she just nudged me in the right direction.  One of the reasons I was considering starting up a blog again, was to record those little moments and keep my memories of the days passing someplace that I could pull them up and review them as I wanted to.  The trick is to keep up with it in a non-obsessive way.  Stuff like this is all or nothing for me.  So bear with me as I try this again in conjunction with The Simple Woman's Daybook. 

My first memory of the year is going with my family to a water park for a night this past Friday.  My girls LOVE water parks and this was a reward for the hard work they did at a rental property we rehabbed.  We went to a place we had never been at before called Timber Ridge at the Grand Geneva Resort.  It was fabulous and we had a wonderful time.  The best part was seeing my husband actually relax.  It doesn't happen often when we travel and it was almost shocking to see him fall asleep on the couch in the room. 

Oscar relaxing!!

I didn't actually get any pictures of the girls in the water park, but here is one of them eating ice cream and cookies that I had waiting in the room when we got there:



I forget how nice it is to not have to worry about housework, animals, homework, practices, and all of life's other details that we rush around dealing with when we're at home.  This past weekend was a nice reminder. Now to keep remembering...that's the trick!

2 comments:

  1. You are going to have so much fun reading back on all your memories and little moments. :o)

    ReplyDelete